Saturday, August 27, 2011

And So It Begins

After spending the day watching the news and peering out the windows, have started seeing the beginning effects of Hurricane Irene. The rain is coming down heavier and the wind has picked up considerably. The gusts are also starting to come more frequently and becoming stronger. Irene is due to be here in full force in about and hour.

I'll admit, throughout today I was getting a little skeptical about the force of Irene. What we were watching on TV just wasn't matching what we were seeing out the window. I have made several attempts to take pictures of the bending trees and rain and since it's dark, it isn't working well. But I will definitely be getting pictures once the sun comes up and we can begin to assess the damage in the neighborhood. And posting, of course.

We are going to make every attempt to stay up as long as we can. I told my husband that I could sleep through this, but I'm thinking it is going to be a very long night. There is almost a morbid curiosity to see what Irene is all about and the true force of this thing. I have never experienced this type of extreme weather. I have seen reports of hurricanes from the islands and Florida, but never saw it with my own two eyes.

I am pretty certain that I will be losing power. Our lights have begun to flicker. There are many outages already scattered through New Jersey and Irene isn't even here yet, so I am going to put my laptop on charge so it will be fully charged when the power inevitably goes out and will make sure to keep notes and keep writing with the aid of my flashlight and will post as sson as possible.

Everyone keep safe...

No comments:

Post a Comment