Tuesday, November 8, 2011

Dear Grandma

Dear Grandma,
It's been 15 years since I wrote you last. Not because I don't love you or miss you, but because I know that you are with me every day, every where I go and you’re watching over everything I do.

I know you were there when I got my license, and have protected me every time I sit behind the wheel. You were there for my high school graduation and my graduation from cosmetology school. You were there for every joy and heartache. You were there when I got married. I could almost see you sitting in the pew as my dad walked me down the aisle. I wish Chris could have met you. I know he would have loved you just as much as I do.

I am thankful every day for the beautiful and amazing son you sent us. Someone that perfect could have only been sent by you. I know you were there the day he was born and you cashed in one of your miracles just for us. You would have adored Brandon and I know he would have adored you just as much as I do. Mom is an amazing grandmother and in many ways she reminds me of you. She takes him shopping and buys him little toys and loves him to the moon and back…just like you loved me.

You’ve missed grandchildren, weddings, and even great-grandchildren, but we always knew you were there. And we’ve taken comfort over the years knowing that even though you could not be here physically, you were with each and every one of us every step of the way; watching from above. You’re in my heart and I can take you where ever I go. Sometimes I see or meet someone that reminds me of you and I know that’s your way of reminding me that you are still here and haven’t gone anywhere. All I have to do is think of you and you’re there. I can feel your warmth in the sun and hear your voice in the wind.

I think about you often and draw on your amazing strength when times are tough. I can almost feel your arms wrapped around me telling me it will all be okay. Just like when you used to kiss my booboos. The pain always went away.

I miss you, Grandma. I love you, then, now and always.

1 comment:

  1. Kelly, this is such a beautiful tribute to your grandmother! It has me reminiscing on my memories with my grandparents and is a powerful reminder that I should spend as much time as I can with them now.

    I *loved* when you said, "Someone that perfect could have only been sent by you." What a thoroughly touching thought. =)

    ReplyDelete