Monday, August 13, 2012

A Meatless Burger? Is That Even a Burger?

I'll be honest, I love meat. And one of my favorites is a big, juicy, grilled burger...with all the fixin's. Mmmm, burger. I'm salivating at the thought. But in an effort to change our diet and consume less red meat, I decided to give Portobello burgers a shot. I had watched a segment of Rachel Ray and she made this meatless wonder. It looked really good. I finally tried my hand at making it on my own while trying to pack in as much nutrition and taste as I could. I really enjoyed them, my hubby on the other hand could not get past the texture. He was waiting for that "meat" and it wasn't there. I am, however, extremely thankful that he was on board enough to give it a try.
What You'll Need:

  • Portobello mushrooms (remove stem, rinse cap and lay on paper towel to dry)
  • Whole grain rolls (I used Arnold's 100% whole grain sandwich thins)
  • Roasted red peppers
  • Pesto spread
  • Sliced mozzarella
  • Sea salt and fresh ground pepper
Coat a rimmed baking sheet with cooking spray and arrange portobellas bottom up. Brush on extra virgin olive oil and season with sea salt and fresh ground pepper. Bake at 350 until softened but still firm in the center.



Spread each side of the sandwich thin with the pesto spread and arrange the roasted red peppers.

When portobellas are done, cover with mozzarella and let cheese melt.

Put top of roll on and enjoy. I served mine with an alternative to french fries...sweet potato fries. This time they didn't come out quite as crispy as I would have liked, but we will give it another try.

I truly did enjoy my meatless burger and my french fryless french fries. I felt good about the healthy choices I made. But it will ever take the place of a good grilled burger

 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love these "burgers"! I like to drizzle a bit of olive oil on the mushrooms then marinate it in some balsamic vinegar. It adds a flavor I cannot even describe. I like the idea of adding roasted red pepper. I will add this next time!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the great tip, Pamela! I will definitely have to try marinating next time. I didn't even think about the balsamic vinegar. The roasted red pepper added a great little sweetness that, I think, the "burger" would have otherwise lacked.

    ReplyDelete