Monday, August 12, 2013

Fat to Fit - End of Week 3

Do you believe in signs? I do. I'm not talking the Final Destination kind of signs, but the little gifts that the universe leaves for you to find. Sorta like an Easter egg hunt. I came upon one of those gifts this week. I unwrapped it and it opened a whole new road for this journey I am on. 

Literally....

On Friday, I was spending the day at my parents house and decided I'd head out for a run. There little town is great for walking and running because there are so many varying elevations. Anyway, I turned up the music and I headed out. 

As I walked down the road, I happened to look down and see a white painted arrow pointing straight ahead. Under that arrow it said "5K". Hmm. I decided that I would follow the arrows and see where they went. 


The arrows kept guiding me through town. I would have been really disappointed if at the end of all these arrows, there wasn't a finish line. Then I came to the 1 mile mark. 


I powered through searching for the end. Although I did not find the huge finish line I was looking for, I did find out that the route I was running really was a 5K route that is held in town every year. So, I looked on the town's website and sure enough, the next annual 5K is set to take place September 14, 2013 and I am running it!!! 

I only have 5 weeks, but I am going to push myself to the absolute limits for the next 5 weeks. I don't care if I win or not. I just want to cross the finish line!!! 

So, today, I took to the course. I started at the beginning and completed the entire 5K, by myself. I did it in 43 min. I set a goal for myself that by race day, I want to finish in 35 min. 

Committing to the 5K is just the next step to getting the results that I want. 

After weighing in and doing my measurements last week, I was pretty bummed that neither have moved. I felt better, I was running further and others have noticed the changes. But what gives with the scale and tape measure?

On a whim, I decided to try on a pair of shorts that just 2 weeks ago, zipped, but came no where near fitting. THEY FIT!!! I jumped around the house screaming, "they fit, they fit!" I think my husband and son both thought I had finally lost it. 

I didn't care. It felt so amazing to have a pair of shorts fit that haven't in over a year!! Screw you, scale!! Hello, "new" shorts!! 

Then yesterday, I got brave. We had a family party to go to and I put on an outfit that I haven't worn in about a year. I felt awesome!! I looked awesome!! And I was now even more motivated to continue on.  I was so frustrated, but now see that all my hard work is paying off. I'm also thankful that I took a before picture. I put the before picture side-by-side with the photos I took yesterday. I am so please with the results that I see. 


What are some of the ways you remind yourself to keep going? How do you stay out of the "scale trap"?


No comments:

Post a Comment