Monday, May 11, 2015

Recipe: Fresh Homemade Tomato Sauce

Now that I am a stay-at-home mom, I have made a commitment to myself and my family to remove some of the processed and convenience foods we eat. Most of our meals are homemade, but I wanted to make them with healthier ingredients. Getting a picky family on board can be a challenge in itself, so I wanted to get them as excited for eating it as I was preparing it. I have already gotten Brandon to eat homemade chicken nuggets (I make a huge batch and freeze) and "real" mac and cheese (elbows and grated cheddar jack cheese). He now asks for these instead of the pre-made kind. 

I always had dreams of having my own garden and growing the fruits and veggies my family enjoyed. I wanted to grow tomatoes and can them for the long winter months. Someday, I may be able to do that, but in an apartment setting, it's pretty difficult. So for now, I will have to settle for fruits and veggies from my local farmers market. 

Italians love their pasta and gravy and my family is no exception. At least one meal a week, usually Sunday, consists of pasta and gravy, yes, it's gravy. With tummy troubles in the family, I was inspired to make this meal lighter so we could all enjoy it and not feel awful after. 

My husband and son loved it! I paired it with some veggie pasta. It was boxed pasta, but one step at a time. Lol.

What You'll Need:

Extra virgin olive oil
3-4 garlic cloves
1 small onion
3 beef steak tomatoes
5-6 basil leaves
Salt and pepper
Oregano


Sauté garlic in extra virgin olive oil until fragrant

Add chopped onion and sauté until onions are soft

Grate tomatoes
I grate them until it becomes too difficult and I chop the rest.

Add spices and basil leaves. Simmer.

Add to your favorite pasta. 
I use veggie pasta to sneak in a few extra servings of veggies. 
Shhhh...



No comments:

Post a Comment